Gold Coast United’s frustrations continued on Friday night when they
were held to a lacklustre scoreless home draw against the struggling
Wellington Phoenix.
Shane Smeltz, playing against his former club, had a chance to give
United the lead after just five minutes, only to be stopped by a
courageous save by Phoenix keeper Mark Paston, who from close
range launched himself at Smeltz’s foot to stop him getting a shot.
At the other end, United keeper Jess Vanstratten, put in an
acrobatic save to stop Leo Bertos from scoring, following it up with a
reflex save to keep Paul Ifill’s shot away from the corner of the net.
But United continued to create chances, and with just minutes to
go before half time Matthew Osman found himself one-on with
Pasdon; but the shot was usuccessful.
Scores remained deadlocked at half time, and the second side saw
both sides creating a few chances, but neither side having the ability
to finish off the job and score. Jason Culina had the best chances,
but found Mark Paston’s goalkeeping work too good to get past.
Shane Smeltz had a long-range shot that narrowly missed the goal,
but Paston looked to have it covered before allowing the ball
through for a goal-kick.
In the final minutes, the game came to life when a heated
exchange between Vince Lia and Robson resulted in punches being
thrown and both players receiving yellow cards. But neither side had
any way of breaking the deadlock; and after 90 minutes off football
that never reached any great heights, the game finished as it
started with the scores locked at 0-0.
Gold Coast United 0
Wellington Phoenix 0.
United –
J Vanstratten, Anderson (Milson 75), K Rees, M Thwaite,
A Traore, B Van den Brink, Robson, J Culina, M Osman (J Brown 68),
J Porter, S Smeltz (M Byrnes 89).
Sub not used – S Higgins.
Phoenix – M Paston, A Durante, T Lochhead, M Muscat, B
Sigmund, L Bertos (A Caceres 89), T Brown, Daniel (F Barbarouses
80), V Lia, C Greenacre, P Ifill.
Subs not used – R Crowther, T
Yellow Cards : United – Robson 87. Phoenix – V Lia 87.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee - G Parsons. Crowd – 4,209 at Skilled Park.

Perth Glory blew a golden opportunity to head to the top of the A-
League ladder, when an own goal saw them held to a 1-1 draw
against North Queensland Fury at ME Bank Stadium on Saturday
Friday 9th October
Melbourne v Sydney (8:00pm)
Perth v Adelaide (10:00pm)
Sunday 11th October
Central Coast v Nth Queensland (3:00pm)
Brisbane v Gold Coast (5:00pm)

Friday 16th October
Adelaide v Sydney (8:00pm)
Saturday 17th October
Brisbane v Central Coast (7:00pm)
North Queensland v Wellington (9:00pm)
Sunday 18th October
Newcastle v Melbourne (3:00pm)
Gold Coast v Perth (5:00pm)

All times shown are Sydney time.
A warm afternoon saw both sides create chances during the first half, but neither was able to
convert their opportunities into goals. But, midway through the half, tragedy was to strike for the
Fury’s Shane Stefanutto. In peak form that saw him play for the Socceroos last month, Stefanutto
went down in an inoccuous looking challenge but was unable to recover, clutching his knee and
having to be stretchered from the field with an injury that appears serious; and Stefanutto looks set
for a considerable period on the sideline, and possibly the end of his hopes of playing in next year’s
World Cup.
The half would end in controversy, as the Fury’s Ufuk Talay went down in the box during injury
time. Referee Ben Williams ruled that Talay’s fall was simulation, worthy of a yellow card; and as
Talay was already on a red, the simulation penalty saw Talay’s game brought to a premature end
and the Fury reduced to ten men for the second half.
And early in the second half, the game tilted Perth’s way, with veteran striker Mile Sterjovski fouled
in the box, with the referee having no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Sterjovski took the
penalty kick and made no mistake. With a 1-0 lead, and with Fury a man short, the Glory were
looking set for victory; and the encouraging crowd of nearly 13,000 were in raptures.
But with 18 minutes to go, the crowd were sent into blind silence. As the Fury drove the ball
forward, a shot looked to be sailing harmlessly wide, but then ricocheted of Glory keeper Tando
Velaphi for a comical own goal for the Fury.
Despite being a man up in the latter stages of the game, the Glory were unable to conjure up a
winner, and so the 1-0 scoreline held until the end. It wasn’t a brilliant game, and there were
numerous errors on both sides; but there was always something happening to keep the interest
levels up. But although the crowd were willing the Glory to score again, there would be no winner;
and the chance for the Glory to be ladder leaders for the first time in A-League history is lost.
Perth Glory 1 (M Sterjovski 49pen)
North Queensland Fury 1 (T Velaphi 72og)
Glory – T Velaphi, C Coyne, J Coyne, N Sekulovski, A Todd, J Burns, A Pellegrino (A Jukic 77), V
Sikora, W Srhoj, M Sterjovski, E Dadi (B Jelic 75)
Subs not used – S Neville, A Vrteski.
Fury – P Henderson, J Hingert (C Grossman 60), R Middleby, S Stefanutto (J Spagnuolo 32), C
Tadrosse, J Tambouras, S Wilson, U Talay, R Fowler (D Daal 69), D McBreen, J Robinson.
Sub not
used –
J Pasfield.
Yellow Cards : Glory – V Sikora 44, J Burns 45+1, E Dadi 72, W Srhoj 81. Fury – U Talay 25,45
+1. J Tambouras 58, J Spagnuolo 85.
Red Cards : Fury – U Talay 45+1.
Referee – B Williams. Crowd – 12,822 at ME Bank Stadium.

Defending champions Melbourne Victory look to be hitting their strips in 2009/10, the Victory
completing a 2-1 win over Brisbane Roar at Docklands on Saturday night.
The Victory were on the scoreboard in just the fourth minute. A perfectly executed cross from
Archie Thompson landed at the feet of Ney Fabiano who slammed the ball into the Brisbane net.
The goal spurred the Roar into action, and David Dodd got the ball into the Victory net five minutes
later; but the referee correctly ruled that the goal came from a handball, and the goal was
disallowed. But after just two more minutes, Reinaldo slammed a cross from Charlie Miller into the
corner of the Victory net, and scores were level at 1-1.
The scores remained deadlocked for the remainder of the half. The Victory were having the better
of the play around the ground, and Archie Thompson hit the woodwork twice; while Ney Fabiano
just missed the woodwork after a free kick during injury time.
Robbie Kruse, playing against his old club, found himself with only the keeper to beat early in the
second half, but sprayed the ball high over the goals. But with 17 minutes to go, finally the Victory
got the winning goal that had been threatened for so long.
It came when Carlos Hernandez, who had butchered a scoring chance a few minutes earlier by
hitting the ball straight to Liam Reddy, finding an unattended Adrian Leijer in the box for the easiest
of goals.
Other than Reinaldo’s 11th minute goal, the Roar had rarely looked threatening, and during the
remaining stages of the game, there were no real chances for the Roar to equalise; as the Victory
held on to take their second win on the trot.
Melbourne Victory 2 (N Fabiano 4, A Leijer 73)
Brisbane Roar 1 (Reinaldo 11).
Victory – G Moss, M Kemp, A Leijer, K Muscat, R Vargas, L Broxham (G Brebner 72), C Hernandez,
S Sukha, N Fabiano (T Pondeljak 67), R Kruse (M Dugandzic 90), A Thompson.
Roar – L Reddy, I Franjic, B Malcolm (T Smits 89), J McCloughan, C Moore, D Tiatto, D Dodd (I
Cernak 78), C Miller, Reinaldo (M Karlovic 59), Henrique, S Van Dijk.
Yellow Cards : Victory – A Leijer 38. Roar – D Dodd 8, D Tiatto 36, L Reddy 38, C Moore 87.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – S Delovski. Crowd – 19,587 at Docklands.

A public holiday blockbuster at the Sydney Football Stadium saw Sydney FC return to the winning  
list with a 1-0 win over Central Coast Mariners.
The Mariners had a strong scoring chance early, with Dylan Macallister getting a header at goal
which was held out by an acrobatic save by Clint Bolton. But it was Sydney who were doing the
bulk of the attacking; and after 20 minutes they were on the scoreboard.
After Steve Musialik made a break, and then passed the ball to an unattended Steve Corica, the ball
was crossed to the area, where Terry McFlynn was on hand to head the ball past the despairing
dive of Danny Vukovic into the Mariners’ net; and Sydney FC were 1-0 ahead.
The home side continued to do the bulk of the attacking through the first half, but were unable to
add to the scoreline; and the 1-0 score remained intact to half time.
The Mariners came out strongly after half time, but their quest for an equaliser in the second half
went unfulfilled. Michael McGlinchey had the best chance, striking the ball powerfully from the edge
of the area, but was denied by a brilliant save by Clint Bolton. At the other end, Alex Brosque went
close to adding a second, but Vukovic’s save kept Brosque out.
The game wound down in the final minutes, and despite plenty of noise coming from both sets of
fans in the healthily-attended match, neither side looked like snatching a late goal. A cleanly
contested game, not one yellow card was issued by referee Matthew Breeze all match.
Click here to see Harboursport's photo gallery from this match.
Sydney FC 1 (T McFlynn 21)
Central Coast Mariners 0.
Sydney –
C Bolton, S-H Byun, S Colosimo, S Keller (A Golek 90+1), S Ryall, S Corica, K Kisel (S Cole
72), T McFlynn, S Musialik, M Bridge (C Payne 84), A Brosque.
Sub not used – I Necevski.
Mariners – D Vukovic, P Bojic (A Clark 86), N Boogaard, C Doig, D Heffernan, A Wilkinson, J
Hutchinson, M McGlinchey, N Travis (B Porter 73), D Macallister, N Mrdja (A Kwasnik 68).
Sub not
used –
M Ryan.
Yellow Cards : Sydney – Nil. Mariners – Nil.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – M Breeze. Crowd – 13,887 at Sydney Football Stadium.

Adelaide United and Newcastle Jets faced off in a public holiday clash at Hindmarsh Stadium, with
both sides needing a win to get their seasons back on track. But both would go home
disappointed, as the game finished with the teams locked together at 1-1.
Newcastle burst out of blocks and didn’t take long to force a couple of corners. And in the 6th
minute, English import Michael Bridges was in the thick of the action as he forced a turnover before
crossing to Jin-Hyung Song, who just managed to get a kick away that bent magnificently into the
corner of the net.
Both sides created chances during the remainder of the first half, but neither was able to capitalise,
with the Jets holding on to their 1-0 advantage. But the Reds lifted after half time, peppering the
Newcastle goal and threatening to get the equaliser.
On the hour, it looked like happening when Lucas Pantelis was brought down inside the area, with
referee Chris Beath having no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Travis Dodd stepped up to
take the kick, but Adelaide hearts sank as Newcastle keeper Ben Kennedy guessed correctly and
pulled off an acrobatic save to deny the Reds the goal.
But there was nothing Kennedy could have done 15 minutes later, when Cassio got the ball at the
edge of the area and struck the ball with pinpoint accuracy into the top corner of the net. Kennedy
dived desperately, but could do no more than get a fingertip to the ball, and there was no way to
keep the ball out.
But the drama wasn’t finished yet, as with just seven minutes to go, Jobe Wheelhouse slammed
the ball into the Adelaide net, looking to have restored the Newcastle lead; only for the assistant
referee’s flag to go up, ruling that Wheelhouse was offside. The game was locked at 1-1, enough
to end Newcastle’s three-game losing streak but not enough to raise hopes of the Jets rescuing
something worthwhile from this season.
Adelaide United 1 (Cassio 76)
Newcastle Jets 1 (J-H Song 6).
Reds – E Galekovic, R Cornthwaite, Cassio, I Fyfe, S Jamieson, M Rudan, T Dodd, A Hughes (M
Leckie 55), L Pantelis (Cristiano 70), K Sarkies (I-S Shin 88), L Owusu.
Sub not used – M Birighitti.
Jets – B Kennedy, A D’Apuzzo, T Elrich, L Milicevic, N Topor-Stanley, A Abbas (J Wheelhouse 73), L
Haliti (S Petrovski 83), J-H Song, M Thompson, M Bridges (K Patafta 83), F Vignaroli.
Sub not used –
N Young.
Yellow Cards : Reds – Cassio 23, L Owusu 87. Jets – A D’Apuzzo 36, F Vignaroli 75.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee - C Beath. Crowd – 12,090 at Hindmarsh Stadium.
Sydney FC
Melbourne Victory
Gold Coast United
Perth Glory
Central Coast Mariners
Brisbane Roar
Adelaide United
Wellington Phoenix
Newcastle Jets
North Queensland Fury

A-League Round 1 2007-08
A-League Round 2 2007-08
A-League Round 3 2007-08
A-League Round 4 2007-08
A-League Round 5 2007-08
A-League Round 6 2007-08
A-League Round 7 2007-08
A-League Round 8 2007-08
A-League Round 9 2007-08
A-League Round 10 2007-08
A-League Round 11 2007-08
A-League Round 12 2007-08
A-League Round 13 2007-08
A-League Round 14 2007-08
A-League Round 15 2007-08
A-League Round 16 2007-08
A-League Round 17 2007-08
A-League Round 15 07-08 (part 2)
A-League Round 18 2007-08
A-League Round 19 2007-08
A-League Round 20 2007-08
A-League Round 21 2007-08
A-League 2007-08 Semis - Leg 1
A-League 2007-08 Semis - Leg 2
A-League 2007-08 Preliminary Final
A-League 2007-08 Grand Final
A-League Round 1 2008-09
A-League Round 2 2008-09
A-League Round 3 2008-09
A-League Round 4 2008-09
A-League Round 5 2008-09
A-League Round 6 2008-09
A-League Round 7 2008-09
A-League Round 8 2008-09
A-League Round 9 2008-09
A-League Round 10 2008-09
A-League Round 11 2008-09
Match Report - Syd FC v CCM (1/11/08)
A-League Round 12 2008-09
Match Report - Syd FC v Well (7/11/08)
A-League Round 13 2008-09
A-League Round 14 2008-09
A-League Round 15 2008-09
A-League Round 16 2008-09
A-League Round 17 2008-09
A-League Round 18 2008-09
A-League Round 15 08-09 (part 2)
A-League Round 19 2008-09
A-League Round 16 08-09 (part 2)
A-League Round 20 2008-09
A-League Round 21 2008-09
A-League 2008-09 Semis - Leg 1
A-League 2008-09 Semis - Leg 2
A-League 2008-09 Preliminary Final
A-League 2008-09 Grand Final
A-League Round 1 2009-10
A-League Round 2 2009-10
A-League Round 3 2009-10
A-League Round 4 2009-10
A-League Round 5 2009-10
A-League Round 6 2009-10
A-League Round 7 2009-10
A-League Round 8 2009-10
A-League Round 9 2009-10
A-League Round 10 2009-10
A-League Round 11 2009-10
A-League Round 12 2009-10
A-League Round 13 2009-10
A-League Rnd 13 Midweek 2009-10
A-League Round 1 2010-11
A Tale of Two Matches
A-League Round 2 2010-11
A-League Round 3 2010-11
A-League Round 4 2010-11
A-League Round 1 2011-12

Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (24/8/07)
Sydney FC v Wellington P'nix (14/9/07)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (20/10/07)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (28/10/07)
Newcastle Jets v Sydney FC (3/11/07)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (25/11/07)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (15/12/07)
Central Cst M'ners v Sydney FC (22/12/07)
Adelaide United v Sydney FC (28/12/07)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (20/1/08)
Grand Final - CCM v Newcastle (24/2/08)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (4/10/08)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst Mariners (1/11/08)
Sydney FC v Wellington Phoenix (7/11/08)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (28/11/08)
Newcastle Jets v Sydney FC (7/12/08)
Central Cst M'ners v Sydney FC (13/12/08)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (21/12/08)
Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC (27/12/08)
Sydney FC v Wellington Phoenix (11/1/09)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (25/1/09)
Trial - Sydney FC v CC Mariners (6/7/09)
Sydney FC v North Q'land Fury (12/9/09)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (5/10/09)
Sydney FC v Brisbane Roar (25/10/09)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (29/11/09)
Sydney FC v North Q'land Fury (5/12/09)
Sydney FC v Central Cst M'ners (23/12/09)
Sydney FC v Gold Coast United (17/1/10)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (7/02/10)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (14/02/10)
Semi - Sydney FC v Melb Victory (7/03/10)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (7/08/10)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (4/10/10)
Sydney FC v Brisbane Roar (30/10/10)
Central Coast v Perth Glory (30/10/10)
AFC - Sydney FC v Suwon BW (2/3/11)
Sydney FC v Gold Coast Utd (6/11/11)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (19/11/11)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Heart (29/12/11)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (5/02/12)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (10/03/12)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (25/03/12)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (28/10/12)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (23/11/12)