The season is young, but the Brisbane Roar made a move up the
ladder with a hard-earned 1-0 win over Wellington Phoenix at
Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.
A defensively-minded opening by both teams saw few chances
created early, but eventually in the first half the Phoenix began to
get more of the ball and put the Roar under pressure. In the 33rd
minute, Dylan Macallister fired a header at goal that was blocked by
Michael Theoklitos just centimetres short of the line. Theoklitos was
again called into action five minutes later as he pulled off an acrobatic
save to deny Paul Ifill.
At the other end, Mitch Nichols had a golden chance to put the Roar
in front, finding himself at the edge of the area with only the keeper
to beat, bit his shot was poorly executed and landed straight in Mark
Paston’s arms.
Henrique started the second half looking dangerous as he delivered a
sensational cross to the feet of Thomas Broich in scoring range; but
Broich failed to make anything of the kick and it was easily saved by
Paston. At the other end, the Phoenix made more chances, Paul Ifill
hitting the woodwork and being denied by another acrobatic save on
the hour by Theoklitos.
On 72 minutes, Fabian Barbarouses got past the Phoenix defenders
before passing to Matt McKay and getting the ball back and sliding it
past the despairing dive of Mark Paston into the corner of the
Phoenix net.
The Roar had the lead, and were happy to defend it over the
remainder of the contest. Mirjan Pavlovic had a late chance to snatch
an equaliser, but Theoklitos was equal to the task and the ball was
saved; and the Roar hung on for their second win in a row.
Brisbane Roar 1 (F Barbarouses 73)
Wellington Phoenix 0.
Roar –
M Theoklitos, M Smith, L Devere, S Stefanutto, E Paartalu, E
Barbourouses (M Murdocca 88), Henrique, M McKay, M Nichols (Reinaldo
63), T Broich, M Susak.
Subs not used – M Mundy, A Redmayne.
Phoenix – M Paston, M Muscat, T Lochhead, T Brown, L Bertos, P Ifill, C
Greenacre (T Hearfield 80), V Lia, B Sigmund, A Durante, D Macallister (M
Pavlovic 66).
Subs not used – Daniel, D Vukovic.
Yellow Cards : Roar – P Ifill, V Lia, T Brown, A Durante, M Pavlovic.
Phoenix – Nil.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – C Beath. Crowd – 7,339 at Suncorp Stadium.

Adelaide United won their second game on the trot, with the Reds
prevailing on the road, getting up 3-2 over North Queensland Fury in
an entertaining Saturday evening clash at Dairy Farmers Stadium.
The Fury were out to an early lead in the 8th minute, with Eugene
Ssepuya keeping the ball from rolling out and then centering with a
perfect cross, which was headed home by Isaka Cernak to put the
Fury  1-0 ahead.
Friday 3rd September
Central Coast v Melb Victory (8:00pm)
Saturday 4th September
Melb Heart v North Queensland (5:30pm)
Sydney FC v Adelaide (7:45pm)
Sunday 5th September
Newcastle v Brisbane (3:00pm)
Perth v Wellington (5:00pm)

Friday 10th September
Central Coast v Melb Heart (8:00pm)
Saturday 11th September
Wellington v Sydney FC (5:15pm)
Adelaide v Newcastle (7:30pm)
Sunday 12th September
Melbourne Victory v Brisbane (3:00pm)
Perth v Gold Coast (5:00pm)

Wednesday 15th September
Melbourne v Wellington (7:30pm)

All times shown are Sydney time.
But a quality strike by Marcos Flores less than 15 minutes later put the game back on even terms.
The Reds were getting more of the ball as the half progressed, and Sergio Van Dikj went close to
scoring shortly before half time but his shot was saved by a desperate dive by Justin Pasfield.
It was 1-1 at half time, but disaster would strike for the home side just five minutes after the break.
Adelaide captain Lucas Pantelis took a shot at goal, and Fury debutant Brett Studman had a horror
introduction to the A-League as his attempted deflection landed in his own net for an own goal.
And just five minutes later, Pantelis crossed for Daniel Mullen to head home the Reds’ third goal,
effectively putting the game out of the Fury’s reach.
The Fury kept trying, and were thrown a lifeline in the dying minutes of the game when David
Williams slammed home a late goal from the edge of the area to reduce the margin to 3-2. But it
was too little too late, and the Reds were able to hang on even through a marathon seven minutes
of time added on to take the points.
North Queensland Fury 2 (I Cernak 8, D Williams 87)
Adelaide United 3 (M Flores 22, B Studman 50og, D Mullen 56).
Fury – J Pasfield, J Hingert (B McDonald 67), M Hughes, G Edds, E Ssepuya, D Williams, C Payne, S Storey, O
Malik (U Talay 59), B Studman, I Cernak (D Daal 59).
Sub not used – M Ham.
Reds – E Galekovic, I Fyfe, D Mullen, Cassio, L Pantelis, A Hughes, S van Dijk (I Ramsey 76), M Flores (J
Keenan 81), P Reid, M Leckie, C Watson.
Subs not used – M Birighitti, I Shin.
Yellow Cards : Fury – O Malik 46. Reds – M Leckie 84.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – P Green. Crowd – 6,130 at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

It was a local derby on Saturday night at the Sydney Football Stadium, with Sydney FC taking on
the Central Coast Mariners. But it wasn’t a game that reached any great heights, with a second half
penalty to the Mariners cancelling out a Rhyan Grant goal immediately after half time; the game
finishing a 1-1 draw.
Sydney FC were looking dangerous early, forcing the Mariners into conceding a string of corners; but
the scoreboard would remain unmoved through the first half. Seb Ryall went closest, with a shot
being deflected into the upright; and from the ensuing corner his header bounced off the
woodwork. And it took an acrobatic save by Matt Ryan to keep Kofi Danning out. At the other end,
John Hutchinson went perilously close but Liam Reddy pulled off the save.
The game was scoreless at half time, but it was only moments after the break that Sydney FC were
on the board. After winning throw-ins in the corner, Byun crossed to Rhyan Grant who slammed
the ball into the Mariners’ net.
There were few scoring chances over the next 20 minutes, in which scrappy play and errors were
commonplace. But the game was turned on its head in the 72nd minute, as Mariners’ striker Patricio
Perez and Sydney FC keeper Liam Reddy collided inside the area. The referee controversially showed
Reddy a red card and awarded a penalty to the Mariners. Ivan Necevski was subbed on for Sydney
FC as replacement keeper, but Perez had no trouble slotting the ball into the net. Replays showed
the decision was controversial, with little contact between the two players.
Sydney FC were forced into hanging on with 10 men, and managed to do that. Perez went close
to bringing up a double but was denied. A man down, Sydney never looked like scoring again; while
the Mariners possibly should have done more in the period with an extra man, and didn’t create
enough chances to get themselves the winner.
Sydney FC 1 (R Grant 47)
Central Coast Mariners 1 (P Perez 72pen).
Sydney – L Reddy (sent off 72), S Ryall, S Keller, S Musialik, N Carle, K Danning (I Necevski 72), S Cole, M
Bridge, S Jamieson (H Moriyasu 90+1), S-H Byan, R Grant.
Subs not used – H Foxe, T Antonis.
Mariners – M Ryan, D McBreen (A Kwasnik 69), J Rose, P Bojic, P Zwaanswijk, J Hutchinson, R Griffiths (P
Perez 53), O Bozanic, M McGlinchey, A Wilkinson, M Simon.
Subs not used – P Henderson, C Doig.
Yellow Cards : Sydney – S Keller 71, S Musialik 75, S Jamieson 77, M Bridge 78. Mariners – J Rose 64, J
Hutchinson 90+2.
Red Cards : Sydney – L Reddy 72.
Referee – M Breeze. Crowd – 10,147 at Sydney Football Stadium.

Gold Coast United hosted Melbourne Victory on Sunday afternoon. With small crowds and costs
blowing out, the crowd cap was back. The crowd that did turn up of 3,624 was well short of the
club-imposed limit of 5,000; and the home crowd’s performance was also well short of expectations
as they went down 1-0 to Melbourne Victory.
With most of the spectator areas closed, the atmosphere was lacking; and on the field the game
started in a lacklustre fashion. But on 20 minutes, a flick-pass from Carlos Hernandez found Robbie
Kruse, who weaved around two defenders before slamming the ball into the Gold Coast net to put
the Victory on the board.
Gold Coast nearly equalised a minute later, with James Brown getting possession within goal-scoring
range, only to cough up the ball. And at the half hour mark, Adam Traore went close but was
saved by Michael Petkovic; and from the corner, Gol Gol Mebrahtu’s header sailed wide.
It was 1-0 to the Victory at half time, and the scoreboard would remain unmoved through the
second half. Kevin Muscat went close, but his strike was saved by Glenn Moss. Leigh Broxham had a
chance to head home a second goal, but mis-timed the header and United had little trouble in
clearing the ball out of danger.
Gold Coast had few chances to snatch an equaliser. Jason Culina struck towards the goals a few
times, but from poor position, and Michael Petkovic was untroubled in executing the saves every
The referee blew full time, a 1-0 win to the Victory. After two draws and a loss to start the season,
the Victory finally broke through for their first win. But for Gold Coast, the club already embattled,
their first win of the season continues to elude them.
Gold Coast United 0
Melbourne Victory 1
(R Kruse 20).
United – G Moss, M Thwaite, D Djulbic, Z Caravella, Anderson (A Barisic 58), J Culina, K Rees, J Brown, G
Mebrahtu (B Halloran 46), A Trarore, J Curtis (S Pantelidis 69).
Sub not used – S Higgins.
Victory – M Petkovic, K Muscat, M Dugandzic (M Angulo 87), S Sukha, L Broxham, G Brebner, R Vargas, C
Hernandez, E Berger (D Ferreira 46), R Kruse (G Kellaway 78), A Leijer.
Sub not used – S Mattei.
Yellow Cards : United – K Rees 24. Victory – M Dugandzic 22.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – B Williams. Crowd – 3,624 at Skilled Park.

We’re only into round 4, but already Perth Glory have had two away games at the new Melbourne
Rectangular Stadium. After an upset win over Melbourne Victory in round 2, the Glory snatched an
injury-time penalty to record a 2-2 draw with Melbourne Heart.
The Heart had a chance in the opening minute of the game, making a break up the wing for Alex
Terra to launch a shot from the edge of the area; but Tando Velaphi made the save. And Alex
Terra was again in the thick of the action in the 5th minute as he lined up a shot but was brought
down in the area. Debutant referee Kurt Ams had no hesitation in pointing to the spot; and Gerald
Sibon slotted home the penalty.
But although the Heart strikers were creating chances, it took a disastrous piece of defending at
the other end to put the match back on level terms. A Robbie Fowler cross deflected off the chest
of Michael Marrone past the despairing hands of Clint Bolton into the Heart net.
But it was all Heart around the ground, with the Heart midfielders getting possession almost at will.
And with half time approaching, Dean Heffernan took a free kick; which Kalmar pounced on to score
and put the Heart back in front.
The Glory were playing better in the second half, and Clint Bolton was forced into a couple of
athletic saves. And as time was running out, the Heart found themselves getting on the wrong side
of the referee’s whistle; with a series of yellow cards being issued.
The game went into time added on, and the Glory pumped the ball into the area. Kliment Taseski
made contact with Robbie Fowler, with the former Liverpool ace going down and the referee
pointing to the spot. Fowler put the ball into the Heart net, and the dramatic 2-2 draw was
Melbourne Heart 2 (G Sibon 5pen, N Kalmar 37)
Perth Glory 2 (M Marrone 19og, R Fowler 90+2pen).
Heart – C Bolton, M Marrone (K Taseski 66), B Hamill, S Colosimo, M Thompson, R Worm, G Sibon (E Babalj
61), W Srhoj, A Terra (A Behich 79), N Kalmar, D Hefferan.
Sub not used – P Zois.
Glory – T Velaphi, J Mitchell, J Coyne, J Burns, R Fowler, B Jelic (M Baird 61), S Neville, S McGarry, A
Pellegrino, T Howarth, N Sekulovski (A Skorich 87).
Subs not used – A Vrteski, J Risdon.
Yellow Cards : Heart – W Srhoj 52, M Thompson 82, D Heffernan 88, B Hamill 89. Glory – N Sekulovski 4.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – K Ams. Crowd – 5,878 at AAMI Park.
Perth Glory
Adelaide United
Brisbane Roar
North Queensland Fury
Melbourne Victory
Central Coast Mariners
Wellington Phoenix
Gold Coast United
Newcastle Jets
Sydney FC
Melbourne Heart

A-League Round 1 2007-08
A-League Round 2 2007-08
A-League Round 3 2007-08
A-League Round 4 2007-08
A-League Round 5 2007-08
A-League Round 6 2007-08
A-League Round 7 2007-08
A-League Round 8 2007-08
A-League Round 9 2007-08
A-League Round 10 2007-08
A-League Round 11 2007-08
A-League Round 12 2007-08
A-League Round 13 2007-08
A-League Round 14 2007-08
A-League Round 15 2007-08
A-League Round 16 2007-08
A-League Round 17 2007-08
A-League Round 15 07-08 (part 2)
A-League Round 18 2007-08
A-League Round 19 2007-08
A-League Round 20 2007-08
A-League Round 21 2007-08
A-League 2007-08 Semis - Leg 1
A-League 2007-08 Semis - Leg 2
A-League 2007-08 Preliminary Final
A-League 2007-08 Grand Final
A-League Round 1 2008-09
A-League Round 2 2008-09
A-League Round 3 2008-09
A-League Round 4 2008-09
A-League Round 5 2008-09
A-League Round 6 2008-09
A-League Round 7 2008-09
A-League Round 8 2008-09
A-League Round 9 2008-09
A-League Round 10 2008-09
A-League Round 11 2008-09
Match Report - Syd FC v CCM (1/11/08)
A-League Round 12 2008-09
Match Report - Syd FC v Well (7/11/08)
A-League Round 13 2008-09
A-League Round 14 2008-09
A-League Round 15 2008-09
A-League Round 16 2008-09
A-League Round 17 2008-09
A-League Round 18 2008-09
A-League Round 15 08-09 (part 2)
A-League Round 19 2008-09
A-League Round 16 08-09 (part 2)
A-League Round 20 2008-09
A-League Round 21 2008-09
A-League 2008-09 Semis - Leg 1
A-League 2008-09 Semis - Leg 2
A-League 2008-09 Preliminary Final
A-League 2008-09 Grand Final
A-League Round 1 2009-10
A-League Round 2 2009-10
A-League Round 3 2009-10
A-League Round 4 2009-10
A-League Round 5 2009-10
A-League Round 6 2009-10
A-League Round 7 2009-10
A-League Round 8 2009-10
A-League Round 9 2009-10
A-League Round 10 2009-10
A-League Round 11 2009-10
A-League Round 12 2009-10
A-League Round 13 2009-10
A-League Rnd 13 Midweek 2009-10
A-League Round 1 2010-11
A Tale of Two Matches
A-League Round 2 2010-11
A-League Round 3 2010-11
A-League Round 4 2010-11
A-League Round 1 2011-12

Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (24/8/07)
Sydney FC v Wellington P'nix (14/9/07)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (20/10/07)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (28/10/07)
Newcastle Jets v Sydney FC (3/11/07)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (25/11/07)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (15/12/07)
Central Cst M'ners v Sydney FC (22/12/07)
Adelaide United v Sydney FC (28/12/07)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (20/1/08)
Grand Final - CCM v Newcastle (24/2/08)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (4/10/08)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst Mariners (1/11/08)
Sydney FC v Wellington Phoenix (7/11/08)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (28/11/08)
Newcastle Jets v Sydney FC (7/12/08)
Central Cst M'ners v Sydney FC (13/12/08)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (21/12/08)
Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC (27/12/08)
Sydney FC v Wellington Phoenix (11/1/09)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (25/1/09)
Trial - Sydney FC v CC Mariners (6/7/09)
Sydney FC v North Q'land Fury (12/9/09)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (5/10/09)
Sydney FC v Brisbane Roar (25/10/09)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (29/11/09)
Sydney FC v North Q'land Fury (5/12/09)
Sydney FC v Central Cst M'ners (23/12/09)
Sydney FC v Gold Coast United (17/1/10)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (7/02/10)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (14/02/10)
Semi - Sydney FC v Melb Victory (7/03/10)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (7/08/10)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (4/10/10)
Sydney FC v Brisbane Roar (30/10/10)
Central Coast v Perth Glory (30/10/10)
AFC - Sydney FC v Suwon BW (2/3/11)
Sydney FC v Gold Coast Utd (6/11/11)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (19/11/11)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Heart (29/12/11)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (5/02/12)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (10/03/12)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (25/03/12)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (28/10/12)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (23/11/12)