A new season, and a fresh start for the A-League. After the
frustrations and disappointments of last season, of the failed World
Cup bid, falling attendances and financial woes, time had come for a
season that it is hoped will rebuild the league. A later start, in
October, avoids the early-season clash with the finals of the AFL and
NRL seasons.
But the long off-season break finished in turmoil for Newcastle. Over
the off-season, Socceroo Jason Culina was signed by the Jets,
coached by his father Branko.  But Jason was injured, as it turned out,
more severely than the Jets were led to believe when he was signed.
Recriminations flowed in the Newcastle boardroom, with both Branko
and Jason shown the door just days before the season started.
But when the teams took to the field at Ausgrid Stadium on Saturday
afternoon to open the new season, the Jets put their woes of the
past few days behind them to record a dramatic 3-2 win over
Melbourne Heart.
After 24 minutes of both sides feeling each other out, the Heart
broke through for the first goal of the new season. It came when
Hoffman crossed, and Mate Dugandzic was there to slam the ball into
the corner of the net. But the Heart’s lead would be short-lived, with
a free kick by Ryan Griffiths just outside the box going over the wall
and past Roganovic’s outstretched arms into the net.
As the clock ticked into injury time, a poor clearance attempt by the
Heart was pounced on by Ali Abbas, who lobbed the ball to an
unattended Griffiths who gave the Jets the half-time lead. But six
minutes into the second half, the game was back on level terms, with
Fred lobbing the ball forward for Dugandzic to head the ball home.
Both sides created opportunities in the second half, but neither was
able to convert as the clock ticked down. But in injury time, when the
game looked destined for a draw, Sun-Hyun Byun got possession
within the area, and the former Sydney FC player found himself with
only the keeper to beat, making no mistake to get his new club over
the line. A goal in injury time in each half was enough for the Jets, in
their new red and blue striped strip, to put the woes of the week
behind them and get three points to kick-start their season.
Newcastle Jets 3 (R Griffiths 30,45+1, S-H Byun 90+1)
Melbourne Heart 2 (M Dugandzic 24,51).
Jets – B Kennedy, N Topor-Stanley, T Calvagno, K Wehrman (B Kantarovski
64), R Zadkovich, T Elrich, J Wheelhouse, S-H Byun, L Haliti (J Brockie 67), A
Abbas (J Virgili 78), R Griffiths.
Sub not used – M Nash.
Heart – N Roganovic, M Marrone, Fred (B Hamill 83), M Thompson, Maycon
(A Terra 64), J Germano, D Williams, A Behich, J Hoffman (N Kalmar 72), C
Good, M Dugandzic.
Sub not used – S Mattai.
Yellow Cards : Jets – J Wheelhouse 32, L Haliti 40, R Zadkovich 76, J Brockie
85, S-H Byun 90.
Heart – N Roganovic 27.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – R Shepheard. Crowd – 12,467 at Ausgrid Stadium.
Friday 14th October
Adelaide v Melbourne Victory (8:00pm)
Saturday 15th October
Central Coast v Gold Coast (5:30pm)
Sydney FC v Brisbane (7:45pm)
Sunday 16th October
Wellington v Newcastle (2:30pm)
Melbourne Heart v Perth (5:00pm)

Friday 21st October
Brisbane v Gold Coast (8:30pm)
Saturday 22nd October
Adelaide v Sydney (5:30pm)
Melbourne Victory v Melb Heart (7:45pm)
Sunday 23rd October
Newcastle v Central Coast (5:00pm)
Perth v Wellington (7:30pm)

All times shown are Sydney time.
The most anticipated opening round since the A-League began was highlighted by the clash of
traditional rivals Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC. Both clubs had spent up big during the off-
season, with Victory getting the signature of Socceroo Harry Kewell, while Sydney FC secured the
services of Brett Emerton.
A blockbuster crowd of over 40,000 came to Docklands to take in the action; but it wasn’t the big
name marquee signings who would be the heroes of the day. Victory keeper Ante Covic was called
into action on the half hour mark after Fabio brought down Mark Bridge in the area, with referee
Peter Green having no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Brett Emerton stepped up to take the
penalty kick for Sydney FC, but Covic had the crowd in raptures as he dived in the correct direction
to effect the save.
It was the most spectacular of Covic’s saves, but by no means his only one, during a first half in
which Sydney FC put the Victory defence under pressure but were unable to penetrate the goal.
But at the other end, Liam Reddy was in great touch for Sydney FC, and in the second half Reddy
pulled off a series of dramatic saves to deny the home side. The Victory had lifted in the second
half, and this time it was Sydney FC who were forced to absorb pressure.
The pressure became more intense in the 74th minute, when Mark Bridge brought down Roddy
Vargas, the referee pulling out his red card and reducing the visitors to 10 men for the final 16
minutes. But although the Victory pressed hard, the Sydney defence rode out the pressure; and
the highly anticipated blockbuster would finish as it began with neither team getting a goal on the
Melbourne Victory 0
Sydney FC 0.
Victory –
A Covic, M Foschini, Fabio, G Brebner, A Thompson (I Cernak 68), M Rojas, R Vargas, B Celeski (L
Broxham 55), D Allsopp (J-C Solorzano 81), H Kewell, A Leijer.
Sub not used – L Thomas.
Sydney – L Reddy, J Coyne (S Ryall 86), P Bosschaart, M Beauchamp, B Emerton (H Moriyasu 84), N Carle (B
Cazarine 90), S Cole, T McFlynn, T Antonis, M Bridge (sent off 74), S Jamieson.
Sub not used – I Necevski.
Yellow Cards : Victory – B Celeski 28, Fabio 33, A Leijer 73. Sydney – S Jamieson 46, M Beauchamp 59, N
Carle 90.
Red Cards : Sydney – M Bridge 74.
Referee – P Green. Crowd – 40,351 at Etihad Stadium.

The Grand Final replay at Suncorp Stadium saw Brisbane Roar continue their winning ways, etching
another chapter in the Central Coast Mariners’ tale of heartbreak with a 1-0 win on Saturday night.
The Mariners found themselves in a spot of bother early, with Pedj Bojic finding himself with a
yellow card after a silly tackle. And Mitch Nichols was finding himself in the thick of the action,
receiving a cross and shooting past Matt Ryan, only for his shot to cannon into the woodwork.
The Mariners had few scoring chances in the first half. Michael Baird had the best shot, but it went
straight into the arms of Roar keeper Michael Theoklitos. At the other end, the Roar were having
the better of the play, but there were few nervous moments for the Mariners’ defence as the
game remained scoreless through the first half.
The Roar continued to do the bulk of the attacking in the early stages of the second half. Thomas
Broich forced Ryan into an acrobatic save. But while the Roar had the majority of possession, they
had few chances that put the Mariners under pressure. It was a game of slow and patient build-up,
not one of numerous shots. Henrique had a good opportunity, but Ryan was equal to the challenge
and deflected the ball away for a corner.
With 18 minutes to go, the complexion of the game changed as the Roar got on the scoreboard. A
cross from Nakajima-Farran found Mitch Nichols at the end of the area, Nichols’ shot slamming into
the corner of the net. The goal gave the Roar the lead, and that was enough to ensure victory,
not with the last-minute dramatics of last year’s Grand Final, but effective enough to give the
defending champions the first three points on offer for them in 2011-12.
Brisbane Roar 1 (M Nichols 72)
Central Coast Mariners 0
Roar –
M Theoklitos, M Smith, S Stefanutto, M Jurman, I Franjic, E Paartalu, B Barisha (M Murdocca 66), I
Nakajima-Farran (K Danning 80), M Nichols, J Meyer, T Broich.
Subs not used – M Adnan, A Redmayne.
Mariners – M Ryan, J Rose, P Bojic, B Porter, P Zwaanswijk, R Griffiths (D McBreen 86), A Pellegrino, O
Bozanic, M McGlinchey (T Hearfield 66), M Baird (A Kwasnik 58), M Simon.
Sub not used – J Pasfield.
Yellow Cards : Roar – S Stefanutto 57. Mariners – P Bojic 7, M Baird 23, R Griffiths 50, B Porter 81.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – C Beath. Crowd – 13,467 at Suncorp Stadium.

Gold Coast United, now in their third season, are expected to struggle this season after an exodus
of players; with controversial owner Clive Palmer fielding a young and inexperienced team, cutting
costs and with the controversial crowd-cap still in place for this season. But the young United side
snatched a point in their first game of the new season, a late equaliser earning them a draw against
Wellington Phoenix at Skilled Park on Sunday evening.
Gold Coast came out firing, and went close to scoring in the 10th minute, but although Dylan
MacAllister got the ball into the Phoenix net, the assistant’s offside flag went up and the goal was
At the other end, Paul Ifill had a shot which missed the upright by centimetres. But on 17 minutes,
Manny Muscat forced a turnover before firing the ball to Dani Sanchez, who crossed to Chris
Greenacre in the area, who fired the ball past the despairing dive of Glen Moss for the opening goal
of the game.
On the half hou, an acrobatic save by Moss prevented Greenacre from doubling the Phoenix lead.
But at the other end, Mark Paston was forced to do some spectacular saves of his own as Dylan
MacAllister twice went perilously close to equalising in the final minutes before half time.
Early in the second half, the home side went close to equalising when Jungschlager’s shot beat the
diving save of Mark Paston; but the shot bounced off the woodwork to safety. Tahj Minniecon also
went close to scoring on the hour, but again the shot hit the woodwork; and a poorly executed
corner let the Phoenix off the hook.
But with just two minutes to go, a surging run from the win by James Brown saw him weave his
way around three opponents before slamming the ball past Mark Paston into the net for an
equaliser. A 1-1 draw, with the dramatic late goal, was a timely morale boost for Gold Coast United
and gets the season off to a positive start.
Gold Coast United 1 (J Brown 88)
Wellington Phoenix 1 (C Greenacre 17).
United – G Moss, M Thwaite (J Porter 57), P Beekmans (D Severino 81), Anderson, D MacAllister (T
Minniecon 74), A Rozic, B Halloran, A Traore, J Brown, P Jungschlager, D McGowan.
Sub not used – J Tyson.
Phoenix – M Paston, M Muscat, T Lochhead, T Brown, L Bertos, P Ifill (Daniel 53), C Greenacre, V Lia (N
Ward 50), B Sigmund, D Sanchez (J Downey 69), A Durante.
Sub not used – T Warner.
Yellow Cards : United – Nil. Phoenix – A Durante 83, N Ward 90.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – G Parsons. Crowd – 4,113 at Skilled Park.

The final game of the opening round saw Perth Glory hosting Adelaide United at NIB Stadium on
Sunday evening. And it would be the home side who would emerge with the points, Billy Mehmet’s
goal being the only score of the evening.
It was a new-look Adelaide side, with only four of the starting 11 having been in the team from
their last game last season. And the Reds were placed under pressure early. Former Adelaide player
Travis Dodd had a golden chance to score against his old club, and then Shane Smeltz blew a
chance; and the Reds were off the hook when they could already have been 2-0 behind with the
game barely ten minutes old.
The Reds were under siege but managed to hold on through the first half. Andrezinho curled a shot
perilously wide of the woodwork, while Eugene Galekovic was called into acrobatic duty to hold Liam
Miller out.
Scoring chances in the first half were few and far between for Adelaide. But in the first minute of
the second half, Andy Slory had a chance to kick-start the Reds’ campaign when he found himself
onside with only the keeper to beat; but his shot was sprayed wide and the chance was gone.
The hour mark came and went, and for all their dominance around the ground, the Glory had no
goal to show for it. Shortly afterwards, John McKain looked to have handballed within the area, but
the Glory players’ protests to the referee were ignored.
But finally, with 14 minutes to go, the Glory had their reward for effort. A cross from Tommy
Amphlett to the teeth of goals found Billy Mehmet, who headed the ball into the Adelaide net.
Relief for the Glory, who had finally found the goal to take the lead. Defending strongly for the
remainder of the game, the Glory denied the Reds and chance of an equaliser, as the clock ticked
down to give the home side a well-earned first-up win.
Perth Glory 1 (B Mehmet 76)
Adelaide United 0.
Glory -
D Vukovic, J Mitchell, B Van den Brink, B Mehmet, J Burns, S Smeltz, L Miller, S Neville (C Coyne 82),
T Dodd (S McGarry 65), T Howarth, Andreziho (T Amphlett 68).
Sub not used - N Young.
Reds – E Galekovic, J McKain, D Mullen (C Watson 25), Cassio, Z Caravella, E Levchenko, S Van Dijk, B Djite,
S Dilevski (I Ramsay 80), M Susak (F Usucar 81), A Slory.
Sub not used – M Birighitti.
Yellow Cards : Glory – J Burns 49, B Mehmet 58, D Vukovic 86. Reds – E Levchenko 37.
Red Cards – Nil.
Referee – J Gillett. Crowd - 9,452 at NIB Stadium.
Newcastle Jets
Brisbane Roar
Perth Glory
Gold Coast United
Wellington Phoenix
Melbourne Victory
Sydney FC
Melbourne Heart
Adelaide United
Central Coast Mariners

A-League Round 1 2007-08
A-League Round 2 2007-08
A-League Round 3 2007-08
A-League Round 4 2007-08
A-League Round 5 2007-08
A-League Round 6 2007-08
A-League Round 7 2007-08
A-League Round 8 2007-08
A-League Round 9 2007-08
A-League Round 10 2007-08
A-League Round 11 2007-08
A-League Round 12 2007-08
A-League Round 13 2007-08
A-League Round 14 2007-08
A-League Round 15 2007-08
A-League Round 16 2007-08
A-League Round 17 2007-08
A-League Round 15 07-08 (part 2)
A-League Round 18 2007-08
A-League Round 19 2007-08
A-League Round 20 2007-08
A-League Round 21 2007-08
A-League 2007-08 Semis - Leg 1
A-League 2007-08 Semis - Leg 2
A-League 2007-08 Preliminary Final
A-League 2007-08 Grand Final
A-League Round 1 2008-09
A-League Round 2 2008-09
A-League Round 3 2008-09
A-League Round 4 2008-09
A-League Round 5 2008-09
A-League Round 6 2008-09
A-League Round 7 2008-09
A-League Round 8 2008-09
A-League Round 9 2008-09
A-League Round 10 2008-09
A-League Round 11 2008-09
Match Report - Syd FC v CCM (1/11/08)
A-League Round 12 2008-09
Match Report - Syd FC v Well (7/11/08)
A-League Round 13 2008-09
A-League Round 14 2008-09
A-League Round 15 2008-09
A-League Round 16 2008-09
A-League Round 17 2008-09
A-League Round 18 2008-09
A-League Round 15 08-09 (part 2)
A-League Round 19 2008-09
A-League Round 16 08-09 (part 2)
A-League Round 20 2008-09
A-League Round 21 2008-09
A-League 2008-09 Semis - Leg 1
A-League 2008-09 Semis - Leg 2
A-League 2008-09 Preliminary Final
A-League 2008-09 Grand Final
A-League Round 1 2009-10
A-League Round 2 2009-10
A-League Round 3 2009-10
A-League Round 4 2009-10
A-League Round 5 2009-10
A-League Round 6 2009-10
A-League Round 7 2009-10
A-League Round 8 2009-10
A-League Round 9 2009-10
A-League Round 10 2009-10
A-League Round 11 2009-10
A-League Round 12 2009-10
A-League Round 13 2009-10
A-League Rnd 13 Midweek 2009-10
A-League Round 1 2010-11
A Tale of Two Matches
A-League Round 2 2010-11
A-League Round 3 2010-11
A-League Round 4 2010-11
A-League Round 1 2011-12

Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (24/8/07)
Sydney FC v Wellington P'nix (14/9/07)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (20/10/07)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (28/10/07)
Newcastle Jets v Sydney FC (3/11/07)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (25/11/07)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (15/12/07)
Central Cst M'ners v Sydney FC (22/12/07)
Adelaide United v Sydney FC (28/12/07)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (20/1/08)
Grand Final - CCM v Newcastle (24/2/08)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (4/10/08)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst Mariners (1/11/08)
Sydney FC v Wellington Phoenix (7/11/08)
Sydney FC v Queensland Roar (28/11/08)
Newcastle Jets v Sydney FC (7/12/08)
Central Cst M'ners v Sydney FC (13/12/08)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (21/12/08)
Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC (27/12/08)
Sydney FC v Wellington Phoenix (11/1/09)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (25/1/09)
Trial - Sydney FC v CC Mariners (6/7/09)
Sydney FC v North Q'land Fury (12/9/09)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (5/10/09)
Sydney FC v Brisbane Roar (25/10/09)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (29/11/09)
Sydney FC v North Q'land Fury (5/12/09)
Sydney FC v Central Cst M'ners (23/12/09)
Sydney FC v Gold Coast United (17/1/10)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (7/02/10)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (14/02/10)
Semi - Sydney FC v Melb Victory (7/03/10)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (7/08/10)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (4/10/10)
Sydney FC v Brisbane Roar (30/10/10)
Central Coast v Perth Glory (30/10/10)
AFC - Sydney FC v Suwon BW (2/3/11)
Sydney FC v Gold Coast Utd (6/11/11)
Sydney FC v Cent Cst M'ners (19/11/11)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Heart (29/12/11)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (5/02/12)
Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (10/03/12)
Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets (25/03/12)
Sydney FC v Perth Glory (28/10/12)
Sydney FC v Adelaide United (23/11/12)