Wests Tigers proved themselves once again to be genuine contenders in 2010 when they edged out the Bulldogs in
a thriller in wet and slippery conditions at ANZ Stadium on Friday night.
The slippery conditions made ball handling difficult for both sides, and contributed to the scrappy nature of
proceedings at various stages during the evening with more dropped ball than normal at this level of the game.
The Bulldogs had an early scoring opportunity, but were denied by a sensational individual tackle by Beau Ryan to
hold Josh Morris out 2 metres short of the Tigers’ line. But Morris would be the first to score, set up by some
individual heroics by Andrew Ryan to sidestep the Tigers’ defenders.
But the Tigers hit back five minutes before half time. Luke Patten had trouble controlling a grubber from Robbie
Farah, and Benji Marshall was on hand to grab the crumbs and score. Marshall converted his own try to level the
scores at 6-6 at the break, but an opportunity to give the Tigers the lead in the opening minutes of the second half
went begging when Marshall missed a shot at penalty goal.
Five minutes later, the Bulldogs were moving the ball out wide. On the last tackle, Brett Kimmorley turned the game
on its head with a perfectly weighted cross kick, which Andrew Ryan caught sensationally and ran through to score.
Bryson Goodwin’s conversion put the Bulldogs 12-6 ahead.
On the hour, Robbie Farah crashed over from dummy half to level the scores. The Tigers then took the lead for the
first time, as Robert Lui sensed an opportunity and banged a field goal over. And in the dying minutes of the game,
Simon Dwyer crossed to put the result of the game beyond doubt. The Tigers remain comfortably in the top 8. But
for the Bulldogs, the game was their 5th loss in a row, and their dream of repeating last year’s preliminary final
appearance is fast fading.
Click here to see Harboursport’s photo gallery from this match.
Wests Tigers 19 def Canterbury Bulldogs 12
Tigers : Tries –
S Dwyer, R Farah, B Marshall. Goals – B Marshall 3/4. Field Goals – R Lui 1/1.
Bulldogs : Tries – J Morris, A Ryan. Goals – B Goodwin 2/2.
Referees – S Hayne, A Shortall. Crowd – 11,837 at ANZ Stadium.

Sweet revenge was on Parramatta’s mind when the Eels hosted Melbourne in wet and dismal conditions at
Parramatta Stadium on Friday night. And the Eels achieved a 24-10 win over the disgraced Storm, reversing the
result of last year’s grand final, a game the history books now say had no winner.
The Storm made the early front-running, with Billy Slater charging through to grab a grubber from Cameron Smith for
the opening try. But the Eels made their intentions clear shortly afterwards when Fuifui Moimoi landed a hit on Sika
Manu that left the Storm boy down for the count. And on the half hour mark, Jarryd Hayne turned on some
individual brilliance to run along the sideline, somehow avoiding running into touch, before off-loading for Joel Reddy
to score in the corner. And in the next set, Krisnan Inu made a break to score under the posts and give the Eels a
10-6 lead at half time.
The second half started well for the Eels, with Luke Burt putting up a bomb which Joel Reddy ran down for his
second try. Burt’s conversion, and a penalty goal, extended the Parramatta lead to 12 points.
But the ill-feeling, with the Eels having missed out on premiership glory last year by a grand final loss to the disgraced
Storm, spilled over shortly after the hour. Eventually Billy Slater received a spell in the sin bin, while Jarryd Hayne
found himself on report; both stars due to face the judiciary this week in a hearing that could potentially make a
significant difference to the next Origin selections.
While the Eels had the numerical advantage, Nathan Hindmarsh set up Kris Keating and the Parramatta win was safe.
And even with Greg Inglis scoring a late consolation try, it was Parramatta’s night; and the small but vocal Eels crowd
would go home happy and feeling some degree of vindication after reversing the grand final result.
Parramatta Eels 24 def Melbourne Storm 10
Eels : Tries –
J Reddy 2, K Inu, K Keating. Goals – L Burt 4/5.
Storm : Tries – G Inglis, B Slater. Goals – C Smith 1/2.
Referees – T Archer, G Sutton. Crowd – 7,572 at Parramatta Stadium.
(All times shown are Sydney time)

Friday 11th June
Gold Coast v Manly (7:30pm, Skilled Park)
Saturday 12th June
North Queensland v Canberra (7:30pm, Dairy Farmers Stadium)
Sunday 13th June
Newcastle v NZ Warriors (2:00pm, Energy Australia Stadium)
Brisbane v South Sydney (3:00pm, Suncorp Stadium)
Monday 14th June
Melbourne v Sydney Roosters (7:00pm, AAMI Park)

BYE - Canterbury, Cronulla, Parramatta, Penrith, St George-Illawarra, Wests Tigers.
St George- Illawarra
South Sydney
Wests Tigers
Gold Coast
Sydney Roosters
NZ Warriors
North Queensland
The game was back in contention, but when the game was up for grabs it was the Panthers who stepped up. On the hour, a 50 metre run by
Brad Tighe resulted in another try to the Panthers. A late try to Lachlan Coote put the icing on the cake, and the Panthers had completed
their win to maintain their grip on a top 4 position.
Penrith Panthers 28 def Newcastle Knights 10
Panthers : Tries –
B Tighe 2, G Cooper, L Coote, M Jennings. Goals – M Gordon 4/5.
Knights : Tries – J McManus, A Uate. Goals – K Gidley 1/2.
Referees – J Robinson, B Suttor. Crowd – 10,969 at CUA Stadium.

One of the boilover results of the season to date took place on Saturday night, when the struggling Cronulla travelled to the SFS to take on
the Sydney Roosters and pulled off a stunning 42-18 win over their more fancied opponent.
The Roosters had an early scoring opportunity, but Anthony Minichiello was unable to ground the ball correctly and the video referee denied
the try. Instead, it would be the Sharks who would get the scoring under way. A penalty goal in the 9th minute was followed two minutes
later by Grant Millington chasing a chip kick to the in-goals and diving on it to give the Sharks the opening try.
The Sharks quickly extended their lead, after Todd Carney dropped a bomb and Paul Gallen cleaned up the crumbs to score. A penalty goal on
24 minutes extended the lead to 16-0, the Sharks were on fire and their long-suffering fans were in fine voice.
Against the run of play, Phil Graham got a try back for the Roosters, but hopes of it triggering a Rooster revival were short-lived after Siosaia
Vave beat some feeble Rooster defending to crash over from dummy half. At half time the Sharks were leading 22-6, and the Rooster fans
gave their players a resounding chorus of booing as they left the field after such an error-prone first half.
The Roosters came out firing in the second half, looking to get back into the contest. A 40-20 by Mitchell Pearce in the first set after the break
gave the Roosters field position, and Pearce was again in the thick of the action with a grubber into the in-goals for Shaun Kenny-Dowall to run
through to and score. Todd Carney converted the try, and for all their bungling in the first half the Roosters found themselves only 10 points
But on 54 minutes, Rooster hopes were finally extinguished when Nathan Gardner gathered the ball and a 90-metre run resulted in another
Cronulla try. And soon it became a procession, with John Morris and Taulima Tautai getting on the board. Even after a consolation try to Todd
Carney, Trent Barrett found an opening to put the icing on the cake. The Sharks’ 4-game losing streak was over; but the loss and the margin
were a major blow to the Roosters’ hopes of returning to finals action in 2010.
Cronulla Sharks 42 def Sydney Roosters 18
Sharks : Tries –
T Barrett, P Gallen, N Gardner, G Millington, J Morris, T Tautai, S Vave. Goals – N Gardner 7/9.
Roosters : Tries – T Carney, P Graham, S Kenny-Dowall. Goals – T Carney 3/3.
Referees – B Cummins, T De las Heras. Crowd – 7,934 at Sydney Football Stadium.

The early Sunday game saw St George maintain top spot on the ladder, but the Dragons were made to fight all the way by a determined New
Zealand Warriors side before finally prevailing 22-20 at Mt Smart Stadium.
In  just the third minute, a sensational one-on-one tackle from Brent Tate on Ben Creagh saw the ball spill free for James Maloney to pounce
and score the opening try for the Warriors. But their celebrations were short-lived when it became apparent that Tate had broken his jaw in
executing the tackle, and would play no further part in the game. Maloney converted his own try to make it 6-0 and added a penalty goal to
give the home side an 8-0 advantage. The Warriors welcomed back Manu Vatuvei from injury to play his 100th game, and the Warriors were
playing with spirit and determination and went close several times to scoring again.
But on the stroke of half time, and against the run of play, it would be the Dragons who were next to score. The try came with a cross-field
chip kick by Jame Soward which set up Jason Nightingale; and in the first set after half time Matt Cooper found the line to give the Dragons
the lead.
The game was see-sawing, with Simon Mannering regaining the lead for the Warriors, before Cooper’s second try put the Dragons back in
front. And when Jamie Soward ran through a gaping hole in the Warriors’ line to score and convert his try, the Dragons were seemingly in
control at 22-14.
But the Warriors weren’t giving up yet, and shortly after the hour they were in again. This time Kevin Locke offloaded with perfect timing to
send Isaac John on a 40 metre run for his first NRL try, Maloney’s conversion making the deficit just 2 points and still 18 minutes on the clock.
But the game closed up and neither team was able to score. The defending from both sides was tight and tough as they searched in vain for
the winning try. But the Dragons, with the 2 point lead, were able to hang on for dear life to take the win.
St George-Illawarra Dragons 22 def New Zealand Warriors 20
Dragons : Tries –
M Cooper 2, J Nightingale, J Soward. Goals – J Soward 3/4.
Warriors : Tries – J Maloney, S Mannering, I John. Goals – J Maloney 4/4.
Referees – A Klein, B Sutton. Crowd – 8,312 at Mt Smart Stadium.

Canberra put themselves into the mix of teams contending for finals position and condemned Gold Coast to their third loss in a row when the
Raiders took out a 28-24 win over the Titans at Canberra Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
The Titans got off to a shocking start, with the ball going out on the full from the kick-off. The resulting set for the Raiders saw Josh Dugan
crash over to open the scoring and give the Raiders the perfect start. But the Titans fought back when Scott Prince nailed a 40-20, and from
the ensuing scrum feed the ball was sent out wide for Joseph Tomane to score and level the game at 6-6.
Both teams had opportunities, but were unable to convert their chances into points until the half hour, when Trevor Thurling found some
room to move and score under the posts. Five minutes later, Thurling was held up attempting his second try; but Joel Thompson gathered the
ball from a poorly executed drop-out and crashed through the Titan defenders to score in the corner. Terry Campese’s conversion attempt was
unsuccessful, but the Raiders led 16-6. And with seconds to go before the siren to end the half, Campese crossed over the Titans’ line to add
another try.
There was more attacking after the break for the Raiders after a 40-20 by Campese gave them field position, and Daniel Vidot found the line to
score again and put the Raiders 26-6 ahead.
On the hour, the Titans were finally back on the scoreboard through Mark Minichiello. Campese added a penalty goal for the Raiders, and with
the score 28-12 and 13 minutes to go, the Raiders looked to be cruising to victory.
But suddenly the Titans snapped into gear, and a game that looked dead and buried suddenly came back to life. The Titans pressed the
Canberra line, twice forcing drop-outs before Scott Prince finally burst through to score under the posts. And on 74 minutes, Anthony
Laffranchi from dummy half completed a 30 metre run to score and after Prince’s conversion the margin was back to 4 points with still 6
minutes to go and the Titans had a chance to steal a game that never looked likely.
But the Raiders hung on for dear life and held the Titans out to claim the win. It was a result that keeps the Raiders level on points with the
top 8, although their lowly for and against counts strongly against them; but it was also a result that saw the Titans crash out of the top 4.
Canberra Raiders 28 def Gold Coast Titans 24
Raiders : Tries –
T Campese, J Dugan, J Thompson, T Thurling, D Vidot. Goals – T Campese 4/6.
Titans : Tries – A Laffranchi, M Minichiello, S Prince, J Tomane. Goals – S Prince 4/4.
Referees – C Badger, P Haines. Crowd – 10,425 at Canberra Stadium.

The Brisbane Broncos, and the NRL in general, were stunned during the week with the announcement that Israel Folau would leave the
Broncos at the end of the season and switch codes to join new AFL club Greater Western Sydney. But on Sunday afternoon Folau was among
Brisbane’s best as the Broncos pulled off a stunning boilover to shock the Sea Eagles with an upset 22-6 win.
The Sea Eagles scored their only points in just the second minute of the game, with Tony Williams finding a gap to run in and score; and the
late arrivers were still staking their spot on the hill when Shane Rodney landed the conversion, at which point few could have imagined the Sea
Eagles would remain scoreless for the remainder of the game.
On 18 minutes on the last tackle, Darren Lockyer put up a bomb. Ben Farrar was in prime position to catch the ball before Folau showed an
early glimpse of his star power in his new game, flying over Farrar to pull down what would have been a spectacular AFL mark before running to
the line to score in the corner. Corey Parker was unable to convert, and the Sea Eagles maintained a 6-4 advantage that they would hold
through to half time and for 10 minutes in the second half.
The Broncos had emerged from half time looking the stronger side, but had been held out by the Sea Eagles. But eventually the sheer weight
of possession and field position took its toll and the Sea Eagles could hold out no longer, with Ben Hunt crashing over from dummy half to give
the Broncos the lead.
On 68 minutes, some individual brilliance by Sam Thaiday saw him shrug the attentions of the tackling Manly pack before offloading to Justin
Hoffman for a try to extend the Broncos’ advantage. And in the closing minutes of the game, Folau put the game officially out of Manly’s reach
with his second try to put the icing on the cake. Folau may have got an offer too good to refuse to switch games, but his performance
showed that even with his choice made to leave rugby league after this season that he has not been distracted, and remains focussed on
playing solid rugby league for the Broncos for the remainder of this season.
Brisbane Broncos 22 def Manly Sea Eagles 6
Broncos : Tries –
I Folau 2, J Hoffman, B Hunt. Goals – C Parker 3/4.
Sea Eagles : Tries – T Williams. Goals – S Rodney 1/1.
Referees – J Maxwell, C James. Crowd – 11,316 at Brookvale Oval.

South Sydney moved back into the top 4 when the Rabbitohs dominated proceedings from start to finish to record a comprehensive 32-4
victory over North Queensland at ANZ Stadium on Monday night.
It took little time for the Rabbitohs to run in four tries, getting their match off to a flying start. Nathan Merritt was first to find the line,
followed by Dave Taylor and then a double to Beau Champion. But all four tries were scored in the corner, on angles too tight for Isaac Luke to
convert; by half time the Rabbitohs led 16-0 despite Isaac Luke having 0 from 4 with the boot.
But Luke was influential in other areas, playing the dummy half role to perfection to creatively find more scoring opportunities for the Rabbitohs.
The Cowboys were left in their wake by the dominant Souths performance; and the pattern continued in the second half. An offload by John
Sutton set up Nathan Merritt’s second try under the posts, and at last Luke had a conversion attempt from in front, which he had no trouble in
Rhys Wesser set up Fetuli Talanoa for another, which Luke was unable to convert. But the Rabbitoh hooker put on some more points, an
intercept and 60 metre run seeing Luke score the try of the night and send the small but vocal Rabbitoh fan base into raptures. Luke handed
the kicking duties over to Chris Sandow, the half-back comfortably slotting home the conversion to put the home side 32-0 ahead.
Ashley Graham scored a consolation try in the final minute, but it was of little importance as the Rabbitohs had a big lead and were back in the
top 4, picking up 2 more premiership points and further adding to their imposing for-and-against.
Click here to see Harboursport’s photo gallery from this match.
South Sydney Rabbitohs 32 def North Queensland Cowboys 4
Rabbitohs : Tries –
B Champion 2, N Merritt 2, I Luke, F Talanoa, D Taylor. Goals – I Luke 1/6, C Sandow 1/1.
Cowboys : Tries – A Graham. Goals – J Thurston 0/1.
Referees – S Lyons, M Cecchin. Crowd – 9,688 at ANZ Stadium.
NOTE - Melbourne stripped of all points for 2010 due to salary cap breach.
Penrith remain in the top 4 after the Panthers led all the way against Newcastle to record a 28-10 win over the
Knights at CUA Stadium on Saturday evening.
The Knights made an early break, moving the ball out wide and could have easily scored in the opening minute  but
for a knock-on by Jarrod Mullen. The Knights continued to pressure the Panthers, but the home side weathered the
storm and the flow of play swung Penrith’s way. And on 20 minutes, Gavin Cooper chased down a grubber from Luke
Walsh for the opening try.
Luke Lewis was in the thick of the action, but it wasn’t always positive. Throwing a long ball to Brad Tighe, Lewis set
up the Panthers’ second try but a minute after the conversion he was placed on report after a heavy tackle on Ben
Hilder. Shortly afterwards, Michael Jennings raced to the line to chase a kick from Walsh; and after Michael Gordon
converted the try the Panthers held an 18-0 lead at half time.
The Knights fought back after half time. A 40 metre break by Richard Fa’aoso gave the Knights field position, and
after some individual brilliance Akuila Uate scored in the corner to get the Knights on the board. And four minutes
later, James McManus was over to score and the Knights were back in the contest. McManus, who had courageously
returned after being virtually knocked out by a high tackle from Frank Puletua earlier, crashed over a line of Panther
defenders and the score was back to 18-10.